Monday, February 9, 2009

Dear President Defluer/Dr. Thomas Sinclair

Dear President Defluer/concerned parties:

In the following email below, Professor Sinclair indicated to me that instead of allowing me to take a "W" for the course, he has decided that he prefers to give me a grade of "F" instead for the Incomplete according to policy he cited which allows for this. However, this is problematic in a number of ways. The Graduate Handbook and phone conversation with registrar's office unanimously contradict this "fact" (statement) he quotes as a right.

1. According to the handbook for the Graduate, it states: "Unless the student completes the coursework (which includes the instructor submitting a final letter grade within six months), the Incomplete changes to a grade of Withdrawn (W). Once an Incomplete has changed to a W, the student has no further opportunity to complete the course and the course will appear on the final transcript as Withdrawn." After reading it 5 times at least, nothing is stated about professors having authority to override that process at their discretion.

2. After calling Registrar's office expressing concern over this policy you he stated; this "right" he has, they did not know about it. They said simply it turns into a "W" with no work submitted. By now I am confused as University personnel are not informed by their own policies are giving me contradicting feedback, which obviously has serious implications(for all students who may be concerned)

3. In the interest of "transparency" and "accountability" Dr. Sinclair speaks of in his email, we had at least 10 email exchanges by now. Why did he not inform me that he did not plan on giving me a "W" as policy states but an "F" in the event that my work was not completed?

4. According to the sample contract from the graduate school (attached) that he filled out and showed me, it states absolutely nothing about professors having the right to give a student an "F" grade as they chose if the assignment is not complete. Rather, a "W" is automatically recorded. Again, in the interest of "transparency" and "accountability" you speak of, why would you not discuss your intentions and this policy at our contract discussion meeting? Wouldn't it be fair and appropriate to discuss that crucial fact as the contract's specifics and limits were discussed?

5. I tried my best to have the assignment done, with such a short time period to get such a huge research project complete. I informed him that I was not confident with my finished work, requesting a "W" on the due date. Why didn't he simply inform me to hand in the work I had because if I didn't, an "F" grade was going to be recorded, instead. Rather, he waited for two days to give me news that I should have handed in the assignment and that if I did not, it would be late. Don't we think this piece of information is absolutely fair and crucial for a student to know because of the serious implications? If this policy about choosing an "F" over a "W" at professors discretion does exist and is legitimate, how does a student know if the Graduate school's policy or this other policy he stated has precedence over the other, since they are clearly in contradiction? In the interest of transparency and accountability, I believe it is appropriate and fair for every student to have access to this crucial piece of policy. Please send me a link or direct me to where I can find it.

As you all know, the implications of an "F" grade to a student's GPA are grave. As for my case, it inevitably means academic dismissal as my GPA will drop below the 3.0 requirement with an "F" grade as a grad student. After pouring over $30,000 in school loans in my final semester finishing two graduate programs, this is where things are. To go from a 3.6-3.7 GPA to below 3.0 involved a lot of professor efforts and a long history.

Fall '05 HDEV 414: Professor John gave me and F for his class after questioning and challenging him to respect and incorporate the contributions of non-whites as they are part of the American success story in his class about American society and higher education reform. Instead, he continued to make racist, classis, and Eurocentric comments in class. After producing documentations at my hearing, presenting a number of group assignments where everyone received A's and I got Fs, he changed my grade for the class to an A.

Fall 2007: Cassandra Bransford gave me a "C-" for being outspoken and challenging professors to be more progressive and bringing up issues students were afraid to discuss about programs incompetence. After consulting the Chair of the social work program, she offered me an "A." I refused, asking for just a grade change, but asked for students to have protection, with systems set in place to protect student's who think different from professors. Nothing was done.Spring of

2008---As my professor, professor Stanley Barret made some of the most horrific and prejudice comments I have ever heard from any professor. He jokingly stated in class as we discussed immigration that basically minorities, despite growing numbers projected, doesn't mean nothing because all they do is fight with each other and never put their heads together on anything. My first conversation with him he expressed shock that as a person of color I can handle two graduate programs. Most negative examples he used in class to illustrate anything negative was a person of color. I was proud that the white students instead of me as a person of color spearheaded the fight against his actions. Before his dismissal from the MPA program, he started failing me. I barely passed his class.

Fall of 2007-Professor YI LU treated me so harshly that many students expressed concern. She failed me for her class. At the grievance, I outlined everything she did according to specific policies she violated, outlining retaliation. The committee corrected her on at least 4-5 policy violations I stated and ordered her to make recommendations. Three weeks later, the committee sent their verdict stating there was no evidence of wrong. I appealed to the Dean and staff informed me that no hearing transcript/notes/audio recording was made so I can prepare, which is an EXTR EME violation of bylaws. Policy calls for do over or decision in students favor. The Dean as well as President Defluer upheld committee's decision denying me either remedy at numerous requests.

Fall 2008 Professor Nancy Frank-After the social work department received national attention, with so many students protesting and civil rights groups expressing concern about Social Work Department and the university, Professor Nancy Frank made a number of false allegations in order to fail me. Stating I did not participate, slept in class, etc. this has prompted students to write letters stating otherwise. 10-15 students will have to testify to the merits of this claim.

Fall 2008-Debbie Oliver---Every paper I did in her class was 90+. Immediately after the department lost their case and word of their treatment of students because a national embarrassment, my next paper received a score of 28 and I was never called on in class, despite raising my hands many times. The way she treated me was so blatant that even more students wrote letters of support on my behalf. When asked if I passed her class via email, her response was in the affirmative. However, in the system, a failing grade was recorded.

Spring of 2009-Presently, I am in the process of receiving another F. This time from Professor Sinclair.

I think it is very unfortunate for university staff to assume that bullying me and punishing me is going to make this situation go away, without any accountability to the community, as well as, the many students in the Social Work Program who have been punished and removed from the program for rejecting the status quo, challenging professors to be more progressive.

A number of you professors have pulled me aside to offer sympathy in the social work department and "sweet" words. Your job as a social worker is to ACT. It is good practice to focus your energies on the oppressed in our community and the students in the program who lost hope and don't believe in justice anymore, after pouring thousands in this program. As for me, I have more emotional and spiritual support than I can imagine, thankfully.

I think it is absolutely important we sit down and work a plan of action to work out these issues. I am willing to sit down and talk about a plan to work out the following: (a) The Social work department needs to apologize to the many clients of Binghamton Housing Authority in our community who were wrongly evicted. When they came to the department expressing concern because the social work department hired the director of BHA, who is responsible for their treatment, they were turned away and disrespected. My field instructor, 40years MSW, who worked on the countless cases also came to the department to express concern ad complain. Students boycotted his class and signed petitions. All were ignored.

(b) The community as a whole, countless social workers, students in the program, professors in the university, as well as civil rights groups have expressed serious concerns as to why the department hired David Tanenhaus to teach social work. The MSW department rather chose the prestige he brings the university as a powerful household figure than the voice of the community and students. Laura Bronstein informed me that he wouldn't be teaching at the university anymore, 2 semesters ago. Now we are going on 3 semesters and he is still teaching students about social justice and community organizing. Many have collectedly complained to no avail.

(c) An independent committee needs to review/investigate the practices of the MSW program immediately to determine the merits and justification for the dimissal of the 8-9 students who confirmed they were treated similarly to me. It was my belief that they graduate but they confirmed that was not so unfortunately.
(d) Among professor actions that need to be investigated, Laura Bronstein, Chair of the MSW program, went out of her way to accuse me of lying to a police offer (he denied it), sending sexual explicit emails, violated the FOIL request i made, and some how had the hearing audio tape altered, as every disrespectful thing she mentioned to me as well as of clients were all ERASED. Too many people, especially social students in the program are disturbed by her choice of actions.

(e) Professor Sinclair who has repeated retaliated, treated me unfairly, making excuses to fail me needs immediate attention. For the university to stand by and let him record a failing grade is bringing this situation to a new.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and company concerning this matter as soon as possible.
Thank you in advance,
Andre


On Wed, 1/28/09, Sinclair, Thomas <sinclair@binghamton.edu> wrote:From: Sinclair, Thomas <sinclair@binghamton.edu>Subject: RE: Concerning incompleteTo: "andre massena" <andremassena2003@yahoo.com>Cc: "Rubaii-Barrett, Nadia" <nbarrett@binghamton.edu>Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 2:47 PM
Dear Andre:
I have carefully reviewed your situation and considered your request that I assign you a grade of "W" for PAFF 523, Policy Analysis. This, I will not do. In the interest of transparency and accountability, I will take a few minutes to explain the reasoning behind my decision. On the due date of January 26, you informed me via e-mail that: Unfortunately, I will not be able to hand you a paper for the incomplete today. As stated, in the short time period I was allowed, it is simply not possible for me to do all the research needed to hand you a solid finished product so I can pass the class. Handing in the paper I have now as it is not complete would probably result in a failing grade, therefore, risking lowering my GPA even more than it already is. Not handing in the paper and getting a "W" would work best for me. Please let me know anything else I need to do to do in facilitating this process. . Upon receipt of your e-mail I conferred with the Graduate School as to what the policies were. I received the following correspondence from Associate Dean Dara Silberstein yesterday: According to the Graduate School Manual once a student has been allowed an Incomplete in a course and does not complete the course work, the "I" converts to a "W" at the end of the following semester. The "W" will appear on the Transcript and the student has no further opportunity to complete the course. You can, however, assign a grade [presumably an "F" in this case] based on the students failure to complete the work. I confirmed with the Graduate School yesterday (January 27, 2009) that I have the authority to submit a grade other than a "W" and since you failed to complete your required paper on the specified due date, I will assign you the grade that you have earned rather than the one that you requested. My PAFF 523 syllabus has a policy that a late paper suffers a 5% per day reduction in its total score. Your paper is now two days late. If you submit an "A" paper today, you will receive a C+ for the course. The last day you can submit an "A" paper and avoid an "F" for the course is Sunday, February 1, 2009. Sincerely, Tom Sinclair, Associate Professor Department of Public Administration From: andre massena [mailto:andremassena2003@yahoo.com] Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 7:28 PMTo: Sinclair, ThomasCc: Swain, Mary Ann; Ingraham, Pat; Stamp, Nancy E.; will@thefire.org; adam@thefire.org; Rose, Brian; Hampton, Valerie; Montemurro, FrancineSubject:

Re: Concerning incomplete
Dr Sinclair:Please confirm that you received my email regarding the incomplete. I have not heard from you. Thank you in advance,Andre "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."-Marianne Williamson (Nelson Mandela's inauguration speech)--- On Mon, 1/26/09, andre massena <andremassena2003@yahoo.com> wrote: From: andre massena <andremassena2003@yahoo.com>Subject: Re: Concerning incompleteTo: sinclair@binghamton.eduCc: mswain@binghamton.edu, pingraha@binghamton.edu, nstamp@binghamton.edu, will@thefire.org, adam@thefire.org, brose@binghamton.edu, vhampton@binghamton.edu, monte@binghamton.eduDate: Monday, January 26, 2009, 10:51 AM

Dr. Sinclair:
Unfortunately, I will not be able to hand you a paper for the incomplete today. As stated, in the short time period I was allowed, it is simply not possible for me to do all the research needed to hand you a solid finished product so I can pass the class. Handing in the paper I have now as it is not complete would probably result in a failing grade, therefore, risking lowering my GPA even more than it already is. Not handing in the paper and getting a "W" would work best for me. Please let me know anything else I need to do to do in facilitating this process.Best,Andre

No comments:

Post a Comment